Thursday, December 18, 2008

Not sure what's going to happen

Yesterday Derick went to two interviews. The first has 4 positions open, but they had about 40 applicants! They said that the manager will be in on Saturday and will be going over all of the applications and will do call backs based on that. The second was for a warehouse. Not great, but a job for now. They didn't think he had enough experience, but will call him back if they need to. Great. Today he has another one for another warehouse. So we'll see. How can you not have enough experience for a warehouse?

He's getting discouraged, and there is no way that we can stay in our home. We're going to have to move back into my parents house. I kindly explained to them that we needed a home, not just a room. So they are going to clear out their attic and we will live there. We'll have a separate bedroom and a living/dining area. No plumbing, but enough room for our microwave, a refridge, and our table and chairs. It's not going to be great, but it's a roof over our heads and a way for us to get things straight. I've been reading message board after message board and I see a lot of people that have been unemployed for months. I hope to God that isn't us. I don't know what we would do.

We haven't heard anything from unemployment yet. He calls every other day, but usually the wait on hold is long and that's if he can get through. A few times we've had two phones going trying to get through. One place that called him on Tuesday said, "I see you worked for Bosch. You must have been part of that huge layoff." That's nice...Derick didn't even know they had a huge layoff. So all along he's been thinking it was his fault, but in reality they let go of lots of people. And now it seems like they are giving him the run-around with unemployment. They stated a reason when they let him go. They said that he sent out something that hadn't passed the quality check. He doesn't remember doing it, and more importantly...why would he send something out that showed up on 3 computers with red screens and sirens saying that it was faulty? So that same week they let go of all those other people and it makes me wonder if they had 'reasons' to let them all go. Pennsylvania is an at-will state which means that they don't have to have a valid reason to let you go and they don't have to pay unemployment. So it looks like we're going to have to fight it because he should have heard something by now. They said that it can take 4-6 weeks which is fine, but we don't have 4-6 weeks to wait. That's what makes me so angry. Don't they understand that people's lives depend on this?

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. We don't want to move again, we like our home...but we might not have any choice.

2 comments:

  1. I hope he is able to find a job or get unemployment while he keeps looking. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping and praying that you can keep your home- it's more than a roof over your heads. But I'm glad you have somewhere to go if you need it- some people don't. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky-- You know I am in PA too-- and while it is true that PA is an "at-will" state, so we can fire anyone we want with or without good cause, the state of Pennsylvania is on the employees side when it comes to unemployment. It is up to the employer to prove that the employee was definitely at fault and they had good cause to let that person go. I've been through this as the person doing the firing quite a few times.
    Unless the company that he worked for has something in writing that states that whatever he did, is an offense worthy of termination on the first time, he will get unemployment. And they have to have tons of documentation to back it up, otherwise he'll get it. Just keep at it. Most times, the employer gives up the battle before it goes all the way to appeals.

    I am sorry that you guys are going through this right now and that you are having to move back in with your parents. But, I am glad that you have some place to go.

    I know, trust me, I know exactly how you are feeling. I have bills piling up to my eyeballs and I don't know how I'm going to pay them. The economy hit us hard (my husband was self-employed until last week, when he started working with the cable company). We'll get through this, sweetie. Just one day at a time.

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete