So here we are. I hope you like my new home. It's going to take some getting used to for me, I hope you'll bare with me.
For those of you that are interested, I had to vacate my other blog because I got a phone call from a leader of the support group about it. They said that I had violated privacy by even mentioning that I went to a support group. She said that a member had found it and turned me in. Are you kidding? The scary part, I guess, is that very, very few people IRL know that I have a blog let alone know the address. So how did that person find my blog? How did they know it was me? Through pictures alone? And how long had they been reading? I don't know for sure. So anyway...they asked me to take it down.
But what they don't understand is that for 2 1/2 years, that is my life. It's my entire pregnancy with Riley, my entire pregnancy with Lily, and so much in between. Ups and downs, joys and sadness. That was it, and now I have to take it down. But perhaps what bothered me the most is the hope that it gave people. So I'll go through my posts and keep the ones there that are meaningful and will perhaps help people to the other side of this grief. I'll edit the privacy post and tell them that if they'd like to keep reading they can email me.
I feel like the privacy of my family has been violated, and I know that sounds crazy because it's a public blog. But I felt as though you are all a member of my family. Not once did I account for the people who were just lurking. It scares me to think of them...out there reading all about my life...but not having the guts to say anything.
Anyway, welcome to you all. I am so glad that you are a part of my family.
I'm not sure that what they said to you was correct or legal. I mean--yes, if you had been sharing the stories and secrets of other members of the support group, mentioning their names, saying the exact support group, where it meets, etc. . . .details like that, I could understand. But you have every right to talk about your OWN life, your OWN story, and you are allowed to mention that you attend a support group. That is very scary, and very sad. I found you through your blog, and you have been an inspiration to me. It is very sad that others won't have the same opportunity. I don't understand what their problem is with it, or if they DID have a problem, why they wouldn't have talked to you personally first. It's just so sad! That being said--I'm glad you're back and I can keep up with you and your sweet family! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with Amy - I'm not sure that what they said to you is legal. It's certainly horrible, that's for sure. It is ridiculous to think that you had violated some rule just by living your life. Nothing you have said could have led me to anyone in your group.
ReplyDeleteWow. I'm horrified. I'd better stop while I'm ahead because I'm getting all upset and I need to get some rest...my face is getting all hot just thinking about it!
But, do you plan to go back? Depending on what you say, I've got comments/suggestions about that, too. Either way. Email me if you want to chat about it.
I'm so thankful for your blog. I'm so very happy I met you. You just keep doing what you are doing here...you are an inspiration and one heck of a friend. Not to mention a TAC sister! Sorry this happened to you.
You know how I feel about this since we've been emailing back and forth. It just irritates me to no end.
ReplyDeleteI can understand if you were giving out details of the support group along with the location and the members names, but you weren't. You didn't. You're telling your own story with your own words and thoughts.They can't ask you to take your blog down. i wouldn't have. but if you've taken it down because you're afraid they'll keep reading, then I understand. I just hope that you can feel comfortable here and you don't censor yourself. Let it all out.
You're a part of my family too.
The harassment you have had to deal with regarding this blog and just in general is just unimaginable to me. Like we mothers of angels don't deal with enough already? Becky you are one of the loveliest, most wonderful ladies I have met on this trail from grief. It is sad that others will no longer be able to find you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your new home with me. Your Dylan has always felt like a brother to my Susannah. Your boys are always in my picture of my girls in Heaven when I think about them. My heart broke when I opened your old blog and found it empty.
You are safe and protected now. And I assure you surrounded by many warm thoughts and prayers.
{{{{{{{{{{Becky}}}}}}}}}}}
Okay, you know what? Did they make you sign a privacy statement when you started that support group? I *highly* doubt it-- I know I didn't sign one when I attended mine. For crying out loud. People will bitch about whatever they can, Becky.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you were violated like that and I'm pissed off for you. Really.
I saw a link on one of my other friend's blogs that allows you to print out your entire blog-- I was thinking that might be a good option for you with your other one-- then you will always have it-- a scrapbook for Dylan & Riley and the beginning of Lily. :D It might not be an option financially right now, but it's something to keep in mind for the future (tax time is just around the corner, LOL).
Anyway, again, I'm sorry that someone violated your privacy like they did. I know they are "public" blogs, but still-- it doesn't make it right.
*hugs* to you, my friend.
WTH?! Like the others, I could understand if you were violating the confidence of the other members of your support group, but you never did anything close to that! I do hope you will keep some of your posts up, because I know there are tons of women going through similar times in life that look at you as an inspiration. You give them hope when their doctors and everyone else might tell them there is none.
ReplyDeleteArgh. This whole thing ticks me off.
To be honest, I thought for sure someone in your family was telling your ILs how much you couldn't stand them!!! I can't believe it was this support group thing. Poo
Well I am with everyone else that it's ridiculous that the support group tried to make you take it down. Makes no sense. And who the heck would "turn you in" even if they found your blog? Well, I'm happy you at least have this option. And sorry that you had to abandon your old blog for some complete nonsense.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThat's really weird. I don't recall you ever sharing specific details about the support group, so why should it matter? I am sorry you had to deal with that.
ReplyDeleteThat's ridiculous! I'm sorry they did that....crazy world, isn't it?
ReplyDelete