I'm so tired. I need a distraction, but I don't know what kind of distraction I need. I need someone to talk to, but I don't even know who that person is. And when I think of getting away from life for even an evening, I feel guilty asking someone to babysit. I have a weekend away in Philadelphia that would do Derick and I good, but I'm afraid to leave her with someone only because I don't want them to feel obligated. She's starting to become a handful.
I feel guilty for writing this. Primarily because as far as 'possible' problems that Lily might have, they are nothing compared to what some parents or children endure. She's overcome so much in her short almost 9 months. And that makes me sad...she shouldn't have to overcome that much. She's a fighter, though, my Lily. I had no idea that to parent a living child meant laughing hysterically every single day.
I'm just tired of things. I feel like I'm missing out on her entire first year because of my own shit in the begining, then the NICU, colic, and now all this. We spend the majority of the time going to doctors, talking to doctors offices, consulting with our insurance company and trying to figure out where we are going to get the money for things that aren't covered. And when I'm not doing all that, I'm obsessively searching google for things that could be the problem. It is a faint reminder of life immediately loosing Dylan. This was all I did then and I hate doing it now.
I spoke with a friend yesterday and she was going on and on about her life and her daughter. She was talking about how she's afraid to leave her mom's because then she'll have to be a single mother and she's afraid to do it on her own. I felt for her, really. I can't imagine doing that. Then she asked about Lily and I told her what was going on and she was silent. Then she said that she felt badly for going on and on about her life when I obviously had so much going on and how she takes for granted that her daughter doesn't have any issues. I just feel like I don't have anyone to talk to. Those that I try to talk to blow me off by saying that all kids are different. And the ones that do listen can't understand because their children weren't preemies or they were but they don't have any problems. They just can't possibly understand, and I feel very alone.
I came across something yesterday and I asked the PT what she thought and she said that it couldn't possible be, but I can't help to think that it could, possibly. I was reading about Mild Cerebral Palsey. I read that it can affect different parts of your body. Your left side, your right side, your top, your bottom, or even your top and your bottom. And I read, about mild cases, about a child that can't lift a weight with their arms but has no problem throwing a ball or writing with a pencil. They also mentioned that CP affects the way your brain moves those muscles. So lifting a weight is a different muscle than throwing a ball. That, to me, is exactly how it is with Lily. I can't get that image out of my head now. She will throw her toys, grab for them, move them from hand-to-hand, but as soon as she bears any weight on her shoulders she collapses and her nose hits the ground. I also read that premature babies have 100 times greater a chance to have CP. And they can't possibly have diagnosed anything in the hospital without an MRI. There is just no way. It's impossible to see nerve damage or brain damage without doing one.
If it were something like that, it's nothing that some PT and OT couldn't help. Muscle strength is what we're working on anyway. It's just getting there and getting a diagnosis that's important.
Today the neurologist's office called and said that they had a cancellation this afternoon and were wondering if we were interested. I left my phone next to the bed, on vibrate, and missed the call. By the time I got the message, it was 10:30 and they had already filled the appointment. I was so mad at myself. I put Lily down for a nap and as soon as she fell asleep I crawled into my bed and cried. Then I went to that place again and it took me a while to get back out. I stayed in bed most of the afternoon beating myself up while Derick took care of Lily. I got up though, and I feel much, much better now.
I'm just tired of the whole damn situation. I don't want her to have problems. I want her to be healthy and strong. I don't want her ever to be different. But right now, she is. I just want her to be a happy little girl that runs wild in the grass barefoot! Is that to much to ask?
It isn't fair...I wish I could wiggle my nose and make everything perfect for you- but remember, you do have a beautiful daughter in front of you. If she does have some mild disabilities...just remember, she's amazing...you are truly blessed, even though the situation isn't fair- and you have the right to vent! After all you have gone through... HUG her for me!! As I sit here knowing my unborn child will never walk, or basically lack brains to do much of anything if it lives... it's hard. It's not fair... but know I do understand what you are saying. You only want the best for your children. The more I look at my daughter, the more I realize how lucky I am just to be blessed with her presence...I knew that after losing Angel, but now, it makes everything so clear. In time, Lily will get stronger... she will!! I will pray for her strength and yours as well. HUGs to you Becky.
ReplyDeleteI wish you lived closer. It would be so nice to just go out for coffee or something and talk about everything and how honestly, it's just so unfair. It's not easy being a parent to a special needs child. And sometimes you just want to curse the entire universe. And question why on earth did this happen to my child? Don't beat yourself up too much about missing the call. It happens, unfortunately, and maybe there's a reason why you missed it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get the answers you need soon. In the meantime, I'm not going to tell you to stop looking up things or to stop worrying about it, because I have been there and that is just not possible and it's insulting when people tell you to just calm down and forget about it. So in between the worry just remember to take a few deep breaths and hug your baby girl close, maybe hug Derick too if you feel like it.
I wish I could be there to hug you too. This stuff is tough. I recommend getting msn messenger if you're able to.. we could chat online. *hugs*
Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. I really appreciate your support and encouragement.
ReplyDeleteI think researching is REALLY important and you should do as much as you can. That way you can go in armed with your own questions. Secondly, I just wanted to say, you said you feel like you are missing her first year because of the NICU, the colic and now this. Hon, this IS her first year. And it is what it is. And you are there for her. And for Lily, that's all she needs. Let those expectations of her running in the grass go for now. Be where she is, because that's where she needs you to be.
Hope that's not too bossy! xxx