Thursday, May 28, 2009

9 Month well check

Lily had her 9 month well check yesterday. Overall, they were very pleased. She weighs 18lbs 7oz and was 29 inches long. Yikes! In length she almost needs 18 month clothes, but they are waaaaay to big for her everywhere else. She is in the 25th percentile for head circumfrence and weight, and in the 90th for height! We bought her some very cute summer pj's in 12 months and we couldn't even get them over her chunky monkey arms and legs. We're going to return them in exchange for 18 months.




We went over everything from the neurologist and the OT and all the other 'special' appointments we've had in the last 3 months. She wants us to take Lily to a childrens hospital. She gave us 3 choices, all of which have wonderful reputations. We can go to either Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, St. Christophers (also in Phliladelphia), or Hershey Medical Center. I have no experience with either and if you do, please advise! They want us to see a neurologist there to make sure that at the very least we are doing what Lily needs right now at this very moment. She thinks they might have more insight into what is wrong, what needs to be done, or just more support. If it's CP, she said that the larger hospitals have resources that we don't have here. In particular, with parent support. She said that here when someone speaks of CP you picture a child in a wheelchair...but there, when you hear of a child with CP they picture someone that has a milder case. There, instead of telling you what your child can't do, they will tell you what your child can do and what he or she will excell at. She thinks that we need that as much as Lily needs the second opinion. I completely agree! So we're leaning more towards Childrens Hospital but I'm going to talk to a girl here at work who's son went to Hershey and had a great experience.




This ride is coming slowly to an end. Finally! They are listening! She was also the first doctor (we took Lily to a different office) who admitted to me that she will have trouble walking if she can't pull herself up to a standing position. Finally! I've been asking and asking kept getting the brush off. She also explained the delay in speech and fine motor skills that follow a gross motor delay more in detail. In short, children spend so much energy working on their gross motor that they put everything else to the side and then catch up all at once down the road. She told us to encourage Lily doing things with her feet. If she can't reach for something or do something with her arms or hands, she does it with her feet. It's funny and people laugh and my mom thinks it's what makes Lily unique. Lol, my Silly Lily.

I'm going to take a que from Erica here and try to be more positive. I'm going to try and only think positive things and write positive things. I can be positve again! I guess I'll revert to the 'Old Becky.' Wish me luck, I'll need it : )

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad they're listening to you. Whether they think it's a big deal or important, it is important to you and I'm so glad they're trying to help figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go with CHOP-- not that I have *any* experience with that hospital, but it one of the parent mags last year, it was rated the number one childrens hospital in the country.
    Just my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete