There has been a lot going on in my life lately. It's been hectic, and I've been a bad blogger and a bad friend to those of you who are good bloggers. I don't comment often, and I'm sorry, I usually read your blogs on my phone while I'm on the run and it's hard to comment that way. I am behind you all 1000% though, I swear!
I cannot possibly summarize the last few weeks so I'll try to get to the point and stick to it. First, Lily has to get a speech eval. She say's Mama and Dada (when she feels like it). She was saying bye-bye and Yaya (Lola- the dog) but not so much anymore. Today she said baby when she saw her cousin, but that's been it. I'm not overly concerned about that purely because with a motor delay, more often than not, there is a speech delay. Then my dad and Derick had a big blow-out. Neither one of them is really talking to each other, but we spoke to my mom's friend who owns many investment properties and they have an apartment available if we want it. We do, of course, but it won't be ready for a bit. It's a second floor apartment and they are going to make the attic a 2nd bedroom, put in new carpet, remodel the bathroom, and put in electric heat. It will be a while until that's ready, but hopefully by February or March we'll be ready to move. It's looong overdue. We learned, then, that my niece has an extra hemoglobin. It could be an issue, but we're hoping it's not. Worst case scenero puts her at an increased risk for things like Leukemia and an increased risk for stillbirth. According to the doctors though, they feel that she has more of a risk of having a stillbirth than a blood disease. You can imagine how that makes me feel. Because to be quite honest, I could deal with something happening to my body and being sick myself than going through a stillbirth. It begs the question, which is worse? Is either one worse than the other? I worry that since it seems as though there is a familiar congenital link to shitty cervix's, what if Addisyn has this hemoglobin issue and IC? That scares the crap out of me. Agh, that's to much for my mind to think about. Who know's what could happen in 25 years. That brings me to my next question...what if, at 4 months old, someone told your parents that you were at an increased risk to go through the worst pain in your life? Can you imagine if you always knew that this would happen? How would it change things? Would you have even tried to get pregnant to begin with? And also, can you believe how advanced things have gotten with screening for things like this?
So then, to top off EVERYTHING, yesterday Derick, Lily, and I were headed for dinner before Derick went off to work. We got to the stopsign right by our house and some guy came flying around the corner, into our lane, wasn't even looking, and hit us on the drivers side fender. He had a giant SUV and his car had more damage than our tiny car. Thank God everyone is ok, and Lily had no idea what was going on. She didn't even cry. Tomorrow the insurance adjuster will come and we're afraid they might total it because it's an old car with lots of milage, but I've been itching for a newer car anyway. We tease each other that we have to move the car under the tree when the weather is bad in hopes that the tree will fall on the car and we'll be able to get a new one. This, as I explained to Derick, is the proverbial tree.
So that's what's new with us...what about you?
That's an interesting question about the stillbirth. I can't imagine answering it. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I think I would just discourage that person from trying if the risk was that high. I am sure someone who hasn't experienced this would urge them to take the gamble never thinking they would be that "1" in whatever odds.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you are doing well. Hope the speech eval person alleviates any worry you may have.
Hmm that is an interesting question. I suppose I could have a similar one. If you knew your child was going to be infertile, would you still want to have a child? I had no idea while I was pregnant that Skyler was going to have septo-optic dysplasia or be infertile, and I guess thinking back now I still would have decided to get pregnant anyway. He may or may not want a child someday, and I am hoping that by the time that rolls around technology may have evolved to the point where it won't be too much of an issue.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good question, Britt. Not exactly the situation, but I know that there is a very good chance that Lily will have an incompetent cervix like me. It's something that I've gone over and over in my head when we found out she was a girl, and I wonder how/when I'm going to have the conversation with her. When I spoke with the doctor about it, she told me to tell her early on. So knowing what I know about IC, and knowing that I could have a girl with it, I chose to deal with it and hope that technology will change.
ReplyDeleteBut then, both because I'm selfish and I do want grandchildren and because I don't want to see any of my children go through that pain (or the pain of infertility in Sky's case), I want to protect them from that.
So is it good that we know this about our children now? Absolutely. And as CLC said, how do we not talk them out of it? Would you talk Sky out of even trying if he and his partner wanted a child? We all know that miracles do happen, but sometimes not without tremendous pain. Will I talk Lily out of wanting to be pregnant? No, but at least in our case there is some treatment.
It's not even something that I want to think about yet..
And on the flip side, while I'm telling Lily that she can't just get pregnant without it being planned just in case...what will you tell Skyler? A good friend of Derick's was always told that he was infertile so after years of unprotected sex (because, you know, he's infertile) he is expecting a baby in a few weeks!
Again, really weird to think about...hopefully technology is WAY more advanced when it's time for us to have the talk!!
I'm so glad you're taking the apartment. You guys need your own space and privacy. I'm excited for you!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the wreck- I hope you guys are okay. And I hope you get a newer car out of it :-)