Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's not looking good

I'm on the cuspe of getting laid off.

We've been getting email after email, memo after memo from management describing the state of the economy and the future of our jobs.

No more contributions to our 401k's. No more raises. Nixxed the bonuses.

Day after day after day we were updated about other offices getting layoffs. Tampa. Dearbourne. Omaha. Bloomington. Hartford.

Today it finally came. They have to cut 22 people.

I emailed my leader's leader. I told her that I was desperate to know. We were blindsided with Derick and we couldn't do that again. I can't handle the stress, I told her.

She replied, "They base it on tenure and performance. Unfortunately you aren't in a great position being newer to the team."

I replied back and told her that I appreciated her honesty. I expressed my gratitude that she is telling me now and giving me some warning, but I asked that she please tell me if/when she knows because I can't handle coming into work and having my desk packed up for me.

They are offering a severence, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe 90 days, I guess. Lily would then qualify for CHIP and in accordance with the new stimulus plan, the government will pay 65% of COBRA for up to 9 months. That gives me 9 months to come up with a new plan. I can surely do that.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::hugs:: I'm sorry Becky, that just sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Becky. Wouldn't your daughter qualify for CHIP now? Or is she already on it? Braylynne is on CHIP. We barely ever use it though, but it's nice to have.

    If you guys ever need anything- we are pretty close- let me know. Or if you just need a shoulder to cry on- We could meet up some weekend.

    Take care,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good grief, Becky. I am so sorry you are dealing with this now. I hope you are able to secure something very quickly. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Becky, I'm so sorry to hear this. You guys are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I'm commenting so late. Have you heard anything?

    Thinking of you. So so sorry. You don't need this stress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry.....I'm hoping for you.

    ReplyDelete